Giving up a pet for any reason is never an easy choice.
The Humane Society of Southern Wisconsin is not only committed to helping pets go home, but also to helping pets stay home. According to the ASPCA’s National Rehoming Survey, pet problems are the most common reason that owners rehome their pet, accounting for 47% of rehomed dogs and 42% of rehomed cats. Pet problems were defined as problematic behaviors, aggressive behaviors, health problems owner couldn’t handle, and more.
If you are considering surrendering your pet because of a veterinary emergency, we may be able to help your pet stay home by offering financial assistance. Please reach out to HSSW Business Development Director, Kaitie Swedlund, at email@example.com or by phone at 608-752-5622.
If you have any questions about surrendering a pet, please contact a member of our animal services team - Melinda, firstname.lastname@example.org, Raina, email@example.com, or Shannon, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- An appointment is required. An appointment helps ensure that we have space for all animals entering our shelter. Please be prepared to spend some time with a staff member when surrendering your pet so that we may get as much background information as possible.
- Please bring your pet to the shelter yourself. Owner information will be very helpful in placing your animal in a home that matches your pet's needs. You will be asked to fill out a personality profile about your pet if you have not already done so online.
- Bring veterinary records. Your pet will be placed more successfully if we have full disclosure of all medical records. Also, this saves the expense and potential over-vaccination of your animal.
- DO NOT leave your pet outside the shelter when the facility is closed. It is VERY dangerous to your pet's well-being to leave them unattended and with no protection.
- Bring a form of payment. To help defray the costs we incur in caring for your pet, we do require a surrender fee. The following forms of payment are acceptable - cash, debit, credit (no American Express)
May 28, 2022 (9 AM-1 PM) -
Stop by Kauffman's Country Store on May 28th and say hello to our volunteers! They are ready and willing to answer any questions you may...
June 4, 2022 (11:00am - 1:00pm) -
Please stop by and meet some of our adoptable pets who are looking for a great home! You can speak to some of our amazing volunteers to learn...
News & Announcements
JANESVILLE, WI (WCLO) - Faith Stephens, adoption supervisor & community outreach coordinator joins the show to discuss funds received from the Streigel Family Christmas display, adoption and...
MILTON, WI (GazetteExtra.com) - A pet adoption event Saturday, January 8th at Milton High School organized by students benefited the Humane Society of Southern...