Giving up a pet for any reason is never an easy choice.
The Humane Society of Southern Wisconsin is not only committed to helping pets go home, but also to helping pets stay home. According to the ASPCA’s National Rehoming Survey, pet problems are the most common reason that owners rehome their pet, accounting for 47% of rehomed dogs and 42% of rehomed cats. Pet problems were defined as problematic behaviors, aggressive behaviors, health problems owner couldn’t handle, and more.
If you are experiencing similar issues with your pet and considering pet surrender, we may be able to help your pet stay home by offering resources or financial assistance. Please reach out to HSSW Business Development Director, Kaitie Swedlund, at email@example.com or by phone at 608-752-5622.
- An appointment is required. An appointment helps ensure that we have space for all animals entering our shelter. Please be prepared to spend some time with a staff member when surrendering your pet so that we may get as much background information as possible.
- Please bring your pet to the shelter yourself. Owner information will be very helpful in placing your animal in a home that matches your pet's needs. You will be asked to fill out a personality profile about your pet if you have not already done so online.
- Bring veterinary records. Your pet will be placed more successfully if we have full disclosure of all medical records. Also, this saves the expense and potential over-vaccination of your animal.
- DO NOT leave your pet outside the shelter when the facility is closed. It is VERY dangerous to your pet's well-being to leave them unattended and with no protection.
- Bring a form of payment. To help defray the costs we incur in caring for your pet, we do require a surrender fee. The following forms of payment are acceptable - cash, debit, credit (no American Express)
October 28, 2021
Dust off your cocktail attire because The Humane Society of Southern Wisconsin's Mutts & Martinis is back and better than ever!This year's...
October 30, 2021
Introducing Lick or Treat, sponsored by Camping World!
Join us at The Humane Society of Southern Wisconsin on Saturday, October 30th for a spooky day...
News & Announcements
BELOIT, WI –The Humane Society of Southern Wisconsin has announced they will once again host their much-anticipated community event ‘Mutts & Martinis’ on Thursday, October 2...
JANESVILLE, Wis. (WMTV) -The Humane Society of Southern Wisconsin in Janesville is getting ready to break ground on a new facility. This project has been about five years...