Giving up a pet for any reason is never an easy choice.
Please read the following information thoroughly and then continue to our Cat Surrender or Dog Surrender request form.
*If you have a small animal surrender, please call the shelter at 608.752.5622 or email our Adoptions Supervisor, Faith, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Most of these situations are beyond people’s control, like relocation, needing to downsize to an apartment, the development of allergies or other sickness. Whatever the reason, we want to help. If surrender is your only option, we will work very hard to match your pet with loving new owners in a warm, comfortable home.
- An appointment is required. An appointment helps ensure that we have space for all animals entering our shelter. Please be prepared to spend some time with a staff member when surrendering your pet so that we may get as much background information as possible.
- Please bring your pet to the shelter yourself. Owner information will be very helpful in placing your animal in a home that matches your pet's needs. You will be asked to fill out a personality profile about your pet if you have not already done so online.
- Bring veterinary records. Your pet will be placed more successfully if we have full disclosure of all medical records. Also, this saves the expense and potential over-vaccination of your animal.
- DO NOT leave your pet outside the shelter when the facility is closed. It is VERY dangerous to your pet's well-being to leave them unattended and with no protection.
- Bring a form of payment. To help defray the costs we incur in caring for your pet, we do require a surrender fee. The following forms of payment are acceptable - cash, debit, credit (no American Express)
|Outside county fee||$25|
April 1, 2021 (Ongoing Event) - April 30, 2021
The Humane Society of Southern Wisconsin’s Cutest Pet Photo Contest begins April 1st!
Don’t miss your opportunity to have your pet...
May 1, 2021 (11:00 am - 1:00 pm) -
Please stop by and meet some of our adoptable pets who are looking for a great home! You can speak to some of our amazing volunteers to learn...
News & Announcements
JANESVILLE, Wis. (WTVO) — We all know pet owners who take countless photos of their furry friends. It can be amusing, annoying, and easy to make fun of...
JANESVILLE, Wis. (WMTV) - A new, national database using facial recognition technology is working to help reunite lost pets with their owners, the Humane Society of Southern Wisconsin...