Thank you for considering giving your time and talents to help lost and homeless pets! Volunteers provide our animals with care and compassion and also help save our organization time and money so we can redirect those resources to helping more pets! We’re grateful!
- Animal volunteer positions require a minimum commitment of four hours a month.
- Non-animal volunteer opportunities are as needed and may include office, special events, etc.
- Must be over the age of 16 or with a parent/adult guardian if younger. For safety reasons, children never work alone with the animals.
- Our volunteer opportunities are not paid, nor do they constitute an internship for school. If you are in need of community service hours, there’s no need to complete a volunteer application: watch for our quarterly volunteer days to help with painting, cleaning, landscaping, and more.
- Please review and consider the different volunteer opportunities that are available.
- Complete a volunteer application and submit it to the Humane Society of Southern Wisconsin.
- Volunteers are called as matched opportunities become available. Applications remain active for 6 months.
- We review volunteer applications within two weeks of submission. Once we determine which volunteer role matches the areas you selected, you’ll be invited to attend a volunteer orientation, required before you begin your volunteer role.
- At an orientation, you’ll take a tour of the shelter and get an insider’s look at animal care at HSSW. You’ll also learn more about our programs and policies, catch a glimpse of our fun, nurturing culture, and become familiar with all the information you need to successfully contribute to our mission.
- You will then meet with the Volunteer Supervisor, designated staff member, or seasoned volunteer who will train you in your new role and finalize your volunteer schedule. After these steps are completed, you’re ready to volunteer!
We look forward to you joining us, and thank you for the gift of YOU!
February 25, 2017
A day of winter fun cheering on the canine athletes of the Alaskan Malamute Club of Wisconsin! There will be a raffle, baked goods, and chili! Hot chocolate...
March 4, 2017
Stop on by and see us at Farm and Fleet! You’ll have a chance to meet some of our amazing dogs available for adoption and ...
News & Announcements
Baby season is upon us! We are in need of more volunteers willing to foster kittens. We get a large number of kittens, and we depend on fosters...
To some people, they're just pets.
To others, however, animals can be the most important aspect of their lives.
That's true for...