Thank you for considering giving your time and talents to help lost and homeless pets! Volunteers provide our animals with care and compassion and also help save our organization time and money so we can redirect those resources to helping more pets! We’re grateful!
- Animal volunteer positions require a minimum commitment of four hours a month.
- Non-animal volunteer opportunities are as needed and may include office, special events, etc.
- Must be over the age of 16 or with a parent/adult guardian if younger. For safety reasons, children never work alone with the animals.
- Our volunteer opportunities are not paid, nor do they constitute an internship for school. If you are in need of community service hours, there’s no need to complete a volunteer application: watch for our quarterly volunteer days to help with painting, cleaning, landscaping, and more.
- Please review and consider the different volunteer opportunities that are available.
- Complete a volunteer application and submit it to the Humane Society of Southern Wisconsin.
- Volunteers are called as matched opportunities become available. Applications remain active for 6 months.
- We review volunteer applications within two weeks of submission. Once we determine which volunteer role matches the areas you selected, you’ll be invited to attend a volunteer orientation, required before you begin your volunteer role.
- At an orientation, you’ll take a tour of the shelter and get an insider’s look at animal care at HSSW. You’ll also learn more about our programs and policies, catch a glimpse of our fun, nurturing culture, and become familiar with all the information you need to successfully contribute to our mission.
- You will then meet with the Volunteer Supervisor, designated staff member, or seasoned volunteer who will train you in your new role and finalize your volunteer schedule. After these steps are completed, you’re ready to volunteer!
We look forward to you joining us, and thank you for the gift of YOU!
December 2, 2017 (10:00 am - 2:00 pm) -
Bring out the family (your four-legged family members are more than welcome too!) and have professional portraits taken in the lovely K&W Greenery greenhouse from 1...
December 14, 2017 (6 - 9pm) -
Join the Humane Society of Southern Wisconsin for Mutts & Martinis, a night of specialty martinis, appetizers, raffle items, and live music, December 14th from 6-9pm.<...
News & Announcements
The Humane Society of Southern Wisconsin plans a new home for its animal shelter and hopes to involve the community in planning as well as paying for it.<...
JANESVILLE—The Humane Society of Southern Wisconsin isn't guaranteed $125,000 from the city for 2018 animal control services after all, though it likely will end up with the...